- 750g lean beef mince
- 1 can tomatoes
- 2 OXO Beef stock cubes
- 1-1/2 (375ml) cups quartered mushrooms
- 1 large onion - diced
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) Cornflour
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) dried herbs
Potato Mash Topping:
- 4 large potatoes (peeled)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- dessert spoon butter/margarine
- Heat oil in frypan and add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently for 1-2 minutes.
- Add mince, stirring occasionally to remove lumps until almost brown.
- Dissolve OXO Beef stock cubes in 250ml boiling water.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms and herbs, stirring thoroughly. Cover and simmer on a low heat for a further 20 minutes. Thicken with cornflour.
- For the Potato Mash Topping, boil potatoes until cooked. Drain water and add butter and milk and mash/blend until smooth.
- Spread meat mix evenly on bottom of an oven proof dish.
- Spread mash over the top of meat and bake in oven at 180C for 20 minutes until golden brown.
For a cheesy cottage pie, add 1 cup grated cheese over the mash before baking.