A tasty soup for the whole family.
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) butter
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- 2 medium potatoes cut into small cubes
- 6 rashers of streaky bacon, sliced into 2cm pieces
- 2 x 25g sachets OXO Concentrated Liquid Chicken Stock
- 4 cups (1 litre) of water
- 4 cups (500g) frozen peas
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60ml) fresh cream (optional)
- Place the butter in a medium/large saucepan.
- Add the oil, onions and salt and sauté over medium/low heat until the onions are wilted and golden.
- Add potatoes and bacon and turn the heat up.
- Stir-fry until the bacon has rendered its fat and is beginning to crisp.
- Add OXO Concentrated Chicken Stock and the water and simmer over slow heat until the potatoes start breaking up, about 20 minutes.
- Add the peas and boil for a further 4-5 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning and add a generous grinding of black pepper.
- Serve with a drizzle of cream if available.
The bacon can be replaced with one or two smoked chicken breasts or chicken rashers.
For a vegetarian variation, remove the bacon, and use 3 x 25g sachets OXO Concentrated Liquid Vegetable Stock.