A show-stopping main dish served in a hollowed out eggplant half and baked until tender and bubbly.
Serves 2 - 4
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 1 medium onion - diced
- 1 garlic clove - crushed
- 1 large carrot finely diced
- 375g crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup (125ml) diced mushrooms
- 2 cups (500ml) cooked cous cous
- 2 OXO Chicken or Vegetable stock cubes
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Cut eggplant in halves (lengthwise) and carefully remove most of the flesh without damaging the skin. Dice eggplant flesh. Salt flesh and inside of eggplant halves. Put aside for 15 mins, then rinse thoroughly. Lightly brush insides of eggplant halves with olive oil and place in oven for 20 mins. Heat oil in pan and add onion and garlic. Cook for 1 min, stirring regularly.
- Add diced eggplant, carrot, mushrooms. Cook for 1 min while stirring.
- Crumble 2 OXO Vegetable stock cubes, then add crushed tomatoes and allow to simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add cooked cous cous, stirring thoroughly. Simmer for further 2 mins.
- Serve in cooked eggplant halves.
For a cheesy option, try topping with grated cheese and cooking in oven for a further 5 mins.