An outstanding recipe to make in advance!
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) butter or olive oil
- 1 medium-large onion, chopped
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed 1cm x 1cm
- 2 cups (500ml) boiling water
- 2 x 25g sachets OXO Concentrated Liquid Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups (500ml) full cream milk
- 1 bag of baby spinach, well rinsed
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) chopped fresh rosemary
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- olive oil
- sprigs of fresh rosemary
- Preheat a heavy bottomed saucepan.
- Melt the butter, add the onion and potato and stir until coated with butter.
- Cover the vegetables with greaseproof paper.
- Put the lid on, turn the heat down and simmer this mixture slowly for 20 minutes until the onions and potatoes are soft and aromatic.
- Add the boiling water, OXO Concentrated Liquid Vegetable Stock and milk and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the spinach.
- Boil open without a lid for no longer than 5 minutes to preserve the bright green colour. Add the rosemary.
- Liquidise the soup until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Serve in warm soup bowls garnished with a swirl of olive oil and a sprig of fresh rosemary.
• The most important watch point is not to overcook the spinach.
• When making the soup in advance, only reheat just before serving to preserve the colour.
• When simmering the onion and potato it is well worth it to cover them with some greaseproof paper to keep all the moisture in. Still cover the pot with a lid.