A great flavour combination. The tomato cuts the richness of the oxtail and the thyme emphasises the meaty flavour.
Serves 4 - 5
- 1 oxtail ± 700g, extra fat trimmed off
- 2 pieces of beef shin ± 300g
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 3 cups (750ml) hot water
- 3 x 25g sachets OXO Concentrated Liquid Beef Stock
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) fresh thyme leaves
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cut into 2cm x 2cm cubes
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons (75ml) tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) sugar
- juice of half a lemon
- 200g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) olive oil
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) fresh thyme leaves
- If you prefer oven rather than stovetop cooking, set oven at 160°C.
- Season the meat with the salt and pepper.
- Place the chopped onion and garlic in an even layer in a heavy based, medium/large saucepan.
- Position the meat on top of the onion.
- Add the OXO Concentrated Liquid Beef Stock to the hot water and place over the meat with fresh thyme. Cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Oven bake or simmer very slowly until the meat is ‘coming away from the bone' tender. It will take about 2½-3 hours.
- Add the potato cubes, chopped tomato, tomato paste and sugar about 30 minutes before the meat is completely tender.
- Add lemon juice and taste for seasoning.
- To finish off the dish, briefly fry the whole cherry tomatoes in the olive oil in a fry pan with the thyme while shaking the pan to roll the tomatoes. Dish over the oxtail and serve.
- Delicious with rice and green vegetables.
This dish responds very well to being pre-prepared the day before. Reheat on the day, but prepare and add the cherry tomato topping just before serving.