You would have to go a long way to get a better steak in a restaurant!
- 300-400 g rump, fillet or rib-eye steak
- Freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil
Red Wine Sauce
- ½ cup (125ml) red wine
- 1 x 25g sachet OXO Concentrated Liquid Beef Stock
- ½ cup (125ml) fresh cream
- Season steaks generously on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with olive oil.
- Leave at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat a heavy based frying pan (not a ribbed griddle pan) until very hot. Put the oiled and seasoned steaks on the hot surface of the pan and press flat.
- Do not turn until well browned. Then turn and brown the second side.
- Now you can turn once or twice until cooked to your liking. Remove to a warm plate.
- Cover with foil and allow to rest while making the sauce.
- Add the red wine to the steak pan and cook over high heat until reduced by half, stir in the OXO Concentrated Liquid Beef Stock and cream.
- Bring to the boil. Add any juices that might have leaked out of the steak.
- Cook until the sauce has thickened a little then pour it over the steak.
- Serve with chips and a salad.
For a vegetarian option, treat large brown mushrooms exactly like the steak and serve with the same sauce.