An excellent main course dish to impress your friends or as a family meal alternative.
Serves 4 - 5
- 4 chicken thighs and 4 drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) paprika
- ¼ teaspoon (1ml) cayenne pepper
- freshly ground pepper
- olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 200-225g Chorizo sausage sliced into 1cm thick rings
- 4 cloves of garlic - cut into slivers
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 25g sachets OXO Concentrated Liquid Chicken Stock
- ¾ cup (180ml) water
- 1 x 400g tin butter beans
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) chopped parsley
- Adjust the oven rack to one slot below the middle position. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
- Mix together the paprika, cayenne pepper, salt and freshly ground black pepper and then using the mixture season the chicken pieces.
- Drizzle with olive oil and roll to coat.
- Heat a heavy based cast iron saucepan or casserole. When hot add half of the chicken pieces skin side down.
- Turn chicken only when browned on the one side, and brown the other side. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and keep aside. Brown the other half of the chicken pieces in the same way.
- Discard the fat in the pan and wipe away the blackened spices with a paper towel.
- Use the same pan to sauté the onion. Add a little fresh oil to the pan and sauté the onion, over medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the sliced sausage and the garlic slivers. Stir-fry over high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, OXO Concentrated Liquid Chicken Stock and water. Stir to blend.
- Place the browned chicken, skin side up back into the pan.
- Cover with a tight fitting lid and bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Stir in the drained beans and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle over the chopped parsley.
- Serve with crusty bread to mop up the delicious juices.
The Spanish Chorizo sausage can be substituted with salami or frankfurters with 1½ teaspoons (7.5ml) of paprika.