Nothing looks more impressive than a large platter of Nasi Goreng topped with golden fried eggs.
- 2 cups (500ml) rice
- 5 cups (1¼ litres) water
- 4 x 25g sachets OXO Concentrated Liquid Chicken Stock
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) canola oil
- 4 onions, sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- salt and white pepper
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoons (5ml) grated ginger
- 1-2 red chillies, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons (60ml) soy sauce
- 200g cooked prawns, peeled (optional)
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) fresh coriander, chopped
- 6 eggs, fried in butter Cayenne pepper or paprika
- In a pot add the water, rice and OXO Concentrated Liquid Chicken Stock and cook for 15-20 minutes. Once cooked, allow the rice to cool.
- In a wok or very large frying pan stir-fry the onions in the oil until beginning to brown.
- Add the chicken breast strips, seasoned with salt & pepper and continue cooking over a high heat until the chicken is just done (no more than 5 minutes).
- Lower the heat and add the garlic, ginger, and chillies. Sauté for one minute to develop the flavours.
- Add the soy sauce, cooked rice and prawns.
- Warm through while stirring to prevent the rice from sticking, adding the chopped coriander.
- Top the dish with fried eggs, dusted with cayenne pepper or paprika.
• You can make it more luxurious by adding prawns, keep it vegetarian, or use leftover meat, fish or poultry.
• Any other diced meat or fish can be used instead of the chicken and prawns. Vegetarians can replace the chicken with cubed butternut and the prawns with feta cheese.