A delicious soup that will find favour with young and old.
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) olive oil
- 1 medium/large onion, chopped
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed 1cm x 1cm
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 medium head of cauliflower, broken up into florets
- 3 cups (750ml) boiling water
- 3 x 25g sachets OXO Concentrated Liquid Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 2 cups (500ml) full cream milk
- ½ cup (125ml) grated mature cheddar cheese
- pinch of nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oil in a heavy based saucepan.
- Add the onion and potatoes and stir.
- Cover the saucepan with greaseproof paper and put the lid on.
- Turn the heat down and simmer this mixture slowly for 15 minutes until the onions and potatoes are soft and aromatic.
- Add garlic and cauliflower and stir through.
- Add the boiling water, OXO Concentrated Liquid Chicken or Vegetable Stock and milk and cook for a further 15-20 minutes.
- Add half of the cheese. Liquidise the soup until smooth.
- Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Serve in warm soup bowls garnished with remaining cheese and any fresh herbs if available e.g. chives or oregano.
Replace the cauliflower with broccoli and the cheddar cheese with blue cheese for something different.