You will simply love this substantial soup!
- 400g beef shin
- 3 tablespoons (45ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) curry powder
- 6 cups (1½ litres) water
- 6 x 25g sachets OXO Concentrated Liquid Beef Stock
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, cut in half and grated until only the skin remains - discard the skin
- 2 tablespoons (30ml) tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons (10ml) sugar
- 250g split red lentils
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) freshly ground black pepper
- fresh coriander, leaves only (optional)
- olive oil for serving
- Brown the beef in the olive oil, remove to a plate. Add the onions and garlic and brown until soft.
- Add curry powder and stir through for 30 seconds.
- Add the water, OXO Concentrated Liquid Beef Stock, browned shin, grated tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and lentils. Simmer very slowly for 1½ - 2 hours. Season to taste with salt and ground black pepper.
- Add half of the fresh coriander to the soup and pile the rest on the soup when serving. Drizzle with a little olive oil.
This soup improves with being kept refrigerated.